Summary: The AmeriCares Free Clinics are staffed with volunteer primary care physicians from the community, drawn from the disciplines of internal medicine, family practice, emergency medicine, and where appropriate, pediatrics and other specialties. Certain specialty clinics are available at the clinic site; other specialty consultations are provided by volunteer specialists who have consented to seeing clinic patients gratis in their offices.
Supervisor: Medical Director
- Graduate of an accredited school of medicine
- Current Connecticut physician license in good standing, and DEA certificate, if available
- Board-certified in family practice, emergency medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics (Norwalk only); Board-certification in specialty, as practiced in clinic
- Successful completion of AFC’s Physician Credentialing Process
- Clinical experience within last two years
- Ability to work with diverse populations and age groups
- A passion to help the underserved
- Ability to work as an effective member of a dedicated team of volunteers and staff
- Sound understanding of and commitment to AFC mission and philosophy
- Perform professional medical services in the examination, diagnosis, care and treatment of physically ill patients, within the limits of experience and professional training. Provide appropriate patient instruction and/or consultation with family or significant other, as needed.
- Record examination, diagnosis and treatment notes, meeting record documentation requirements. Provide clearly written orders, and be available to nursing staff for direction, support and clarification of the medical plan of care.
- Appropriately utilize diagnostic and laboratory services as required for quality care; identify those patients beyond our scope of care; make patient referrals to appropriate specialty services and provide continuity and completeness of medical care using accepted medical standards of care
- Determine patient medication needs, and order from sample stock, pharmaceutical companies’ Patient Assistance Program (PAP) and/or the Clinic formulary, prescribing generic drugs whenever therapeutically appropriate
- Deliver patient care in accordance with the Americares Free Clinics’ Policies & Procedures, universal precautions and infection control principles
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Attend Medical Staff Meetings and periodic in-service activities whenever possible