Summary: Volunteer interpreters are integral to the day to day running of our free clinics. They are the bridge between the doctor and the patient and must be able to comfortably interpret medical terminology such as patient symptoms
and doctors’ diagnoses and treatment instructions.
Supervisor: Patient Care Coordinator
- Spanish/English fluency (Spanish or Portuguese fluency in Danbury)
- At least 21 years old
- Complete application process including orientation
- Ability to work with diverse populations and age groups
- A passion to help the underserved
- Ability to work as an effective member of a dedicated team of volunteers and staff
- Sensitivity to and a clear understanding of patient confidentiality issues
- Sound understanding of and commitment to AFC mission and philosophy.
- Participate in orientation/evaluation by shadowing an experienced interpreter until bilingual fluency has been determined and basic skills required imparted
- Accurately interpret conversations between health care provider and non-English-speaking patients following recommended guidelines
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Inform clinic director of any concerns regarding patient treatment and volunteer interactions
- Assist with other tasks as needed