Summary: The NP will function as an independent practitioner within the scope of nurse practitioner practice as defined by the American Nurses Association and the laws of the State of Connecticut.
Administrative supervisor: Clinic Director
Medical Supervisor: Medical Director
- Current Connecticut advanced practice registered nurse license, with certification in an appropriate area of practice as a nurse practitioner
- Minimum two years of recent full time experience caring for adults with chronic and episodic medical conditions. The same experience is required of the pediatric NP in that field.
- One letter of recommendation from health care provider familiar with candidate’s recent clinical practice
- Successful completion of Americares Free Clinic’s Credentialing Process
- Ability to work with diverse populations and age groups
- A passion to help the underserved
- Ability to work as an effective member of a dedicated team of volunteers and staff
- Sound understanding of and commitment to AFC mission and philosophy
- Perform professional medical services in the examination, diagnosis, care and treatment of physically ill patients, within the limits of experience and professional training. Provide appropriate patient instruction and/or consultation with family or
significant other, as needed.
- Collaborate with other health care providers and community health resources, and make appropriate patient and/or family referrals
- Identify patients outside of the NP’s scope of practice and refer to the Clinic physician, or to a specialist, as appropriate. If no physician consultation is present, or if urgent attention is required, the patient will be sent to the hospital emergency
- Review diagnostic testing reports and PAP applications as needed
- Note in the patient’s chart any consultation with physician staff regarding the delivery of patient care, indicating the name of the physician consulted in the case
- Deliver patient care in accordance with the Americares Free Clinics’ Policies & Procedures, universal precautions and infection control principles
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Attend Medical Staff Meeting and periodic in-service activities whenever possible